General orders for air quality permits

We issue general order permits to commercial sources of air pollution. A general order is a group permit that simplifies the air permitting process. When several sources of the air pollution are similar, we can issue a “general order” for all the sources, rather than a series of individual permits. There are categories of general orders for air pollution that comes from commercial sources.

To use a general order

To decide if you need to apply for a general order, click on the category below that applies to your business.  Read the general order in that category. If it applies to your business, follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the application listed in the category that applies to your business.
  2. Send us your application and permit fee.
  3. Follow the conditions in the general order that we send you.

General orders for portable sources of air pollution

Certain types of businesses that emit air pollution move their operations around the state, such as:

  • Portable asphalt plants
  • Portable concrete plants
  • Portable rock crushers
  • Non-road engines used to power these operations

A business can get a general order or permit for these operations from us. However, if a business already has a valid air permit for these operations issued by a local clean air agency, we will accept that permit if it was issued after July 1, 2010.

Notify us at least 15 days before you start work in a county we oversee. Include the notification form, a copy of your valid air permit, and the fee. You must also comply with all relevant State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) guidelines.

More information

Contact our regional office where your project is located. If you are in another county, contact the local clean air agency to check the types of general orders they have.

  • Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan counties
  • Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties
  • San Juan County
  • For other counties and all tribal lands, contact your local clean air agency.