Burn permits

We issue burn permits for agricultural, outdoor, and residential burning to protect healthy air in Washington. The type and location of burning you are planning will determine if you need a permit. Check for a burn ban before you start burning.

Eastern Washington wheat field

Agricultural burn permits

Agricultural burning can be an important part of your business. We want to help you do this safely and legally. Learn more about agricultural burning and permitting.

Outdoor and residential burn permits

The types of burning we manage include:

  • land clearing
  • residential yard waste burning
  • campfires
  • fire training burns 

Before you start burning, check if you need a permit, if the type of burning you want to do is allowed in your area, or if there is a burn ban in place.

Where you live determines what you can burn

Whether outdoor burning is legal is determined by the location of your home or business. Before you start burning, read about outdoor and residential burning to figure out what burning is allowed in your area.

Types of burn permits

More information

Contact one of our regional offices or your local clean air agency if you have questions about what burn permit application you need or to find out if burning is allowed in your area.

  • Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan counties
  • Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties
  • San Juan County