Aquatic Mosquito Control General Permit

We issue this permit to allow the discharge of insecticides into state waters to control mosquitoes. It is a combined National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and State Waste Discharge General Permit.

The current permit goes into effect July 5, 2019, and expires July 4, 2024.

Español: Para obtener más información, comuníquese con Shawn Ultican al 360-870-3492.

Receive email updates

Interested in our aquatic-pesticide permits? Join our Aquatic Pesticide Permits email notification list for updates.

Aquatic Mosquito Control general permit

Permit modification

In 2019 we reissued the permit to authorize the use of an additional tool — deltamethrin — to control mosquitoes in Washington. The 2019 permit was appealed by the Benton County Mosquito Control District. The appeal resulted in the need to modify the requirement for Endangered Species Act compliance. We plan to do this when the permit is updated in 2024.

At that time, the update process will include a public comment period and response to comments before the final permit is issued. To receive updates on the permit modification process, join our Aquatic Pesticide Permits email notification list.

Do I need a permit?

This permit is for government entities and individuals who plan to use larvicides or adulticides to control mosquitoes.This permit does not apply to homeowner use of insecticides for residential control of mosquitoes.

The application of mosquito larvicides or adulticides to Waters of the State requires permit coverage, whether it is a direct or indirect discharge. For example, a direct discharge is the application of larvicides directly to surface water, while an indirect discharge is the settling of adulticides onto a surface water even though the water was not the target area.

How do I apply for, renew, or change my permit coverage?

Apply for a permit using Secure Access Washington. Use the public notice template when applying for a new permit and complete a project SEPA Checklist.

Renew your permit coverage using Secure Access Washington.

Use the transfer form to switch coverage to another party. If you wish to cancel your permit coverage, file a notice of termination form.

Follow your permit requirements