Aquatic pesticide permits

How do I know if I need an aquatic pesticide permit?

If you use any products to manage aquatic life in and around waters of Washington, you will probably need coverage under a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.

State and federal law requires coverage under an aquatic pesticide permit for all activities that involve the use of pesticides or nutrient inactivation products for managing aquatic organisms in waters of the state.

Our aquatic pesticide permits condition and regulate when, where, how, and the amount and type of products that can be applied for these activities. These permits provide details on the specific monitoring, reporting, and public notification requirements for products used for the managing aquatic organisms.

What aquatic pesticide permits are available?

We offer permit coverage for a range of activities, from noxious and invasive weed control, to mosquito control, and fisheries resource management. There are currently seven general permits that control the use of aquatic pesticides:

Additionally, we offer one individual permit issued directly to the Washington State Department of Agriculture for the control and eradication of Gypsy and other invasive moths.