Aquatic pesticide permits

If you use any products to manage aquatic plants, animals or insects in and around waters of Washington, you will probably need coverage under a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. Treatments using chemical products are one option to control aquatic organisms.

State and federal law requires coverage under an NPDES permit when pesticides, herbicides, and other products are used in or near surface water. If these chemicals will get into water directly or indirectly, permit coverage will be required before starting the activity. An indirect discharge happens when pesticides used along a shoreline go beyond the intended area and enter nearby surface water from overspray, drift, or dripping off plants.

Our aquatic pesticide permits regulate the type of products that can be used for these activities. These permits also provide specific monitoring, reporting, and public notification requirements.

What aquatic pesticide permits are available?

We offer permit coverage for a range of activities, from noxious and invasive weed control, to mosquito control, and fisheries resource management. There are currently six general permits that control the use of aquatic pesticides: