Aquatic Noxious Weed Control General Permit

This permit controls freshwater and marine noxious weeds in Washington. It covers the indirect discharge of herbicides, adjuvants, and marker dyes into estuaries, marine areas, wetlands, along lake shorelines, rivers, streams, and other wet areas.

An indirect discharge occurs when there may be incidental overspray — spray that goes beyond the intended area — or dripping of a chemical from the treated plants into waters of the state.

We issue statewide coverage under this permit to the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA). Individuals or entities may contract with WSDA to be Limited Agents for riparian and emergent noxious weed control projects statewide.

Permit documents

Modifications to the 2017 Permit

We propose modifying the current permit to allow the use of additional tools (herbicides) to control Washington state-listed noxious weeds and Washington state quarantine-listed weeds. The modification covers marine and freshwater applications that may indirectly enter surface waters of Washington.

We accepted comments on the modified permit documents from Nov. 7, 2018 until Dec. 21, 2018. We will publish a Response to Comments as an appendix to the fact sheet to address comments submitted during this period. We plan to make a final decision on this permit modification by June 5, 2019.
  1. Draft modified Aquatic Noxious Weed Control General Permit
  2. Fact Sheet
  3. 2017 Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement
  4. Public Notice of Modified Draft
  5. Sign Templates

Workshops and hearings

On Dec. 10, 2018, we hosted both a webinar and an in-person workshop immediately followed by public hearings in Lacey, WA. View the presentation from workshops

During the workshops, we explained the proposed modifications to the permit and answered questions. During the hearings, people were given the opportunity to provide oral testimony and written comments on the proposed changes. Written comments received the same consideration as oral testimony.

Only the portions of the permit revised during this permit modification are available for comment.      

Modificaciones al Permiso

Ecología propone modificar el Permiso General para el Control de Plantas Acuáticas y Algas. Este permiso regula el uso de herbicidas, alguicidas, adyuvantes, y productos para la desactivación de fósforo para el control de hierbas tóxicas, plantas nativas molestas, algas, y fósforo en aguas superficiales en el Estado de Washington.

Para obtener más información acerca del permiso general modificado, comuníquese con Stacey Callaway al 360-407-7118. Para información en español, comuníquese con Gustavo Ordóñez al 360-407-6619.

Additional documents