Dangerous waste permits

Only facilities with a dangerous waste permit may treat other businesses' dangerous waste or store dangerous waste on a long-term basis. This permit is also required to dispose of dangerous waste by burning or burying. These permitted businesses are often called Treatment, Storage, Disposal, or Recycling Facilities (TSDs or TSDRs).

We are authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the dangerous waste permitting process in Washington.

Dangerous waste permitting process

Anyone proposing to construct and operate a dangerous waste facility in Washington must comply with state and federal laws and regulations. One of those requirements is to obtain a final status, or Part B permit, from us.

The formal permitting process involves many steps. Years may pass between the time a facility submits a Part B permit application and when it receives a permit, or a permit denial. Most of our dangerous waste permitting work is permit renewals. We rarely get applications for new facilities.

Current permitted facilities