Dangerous waste permits

Only facilities with a dangerous waste permit (i.e., permitted dangerous waste facilities) may treat dangerous waste for other businesses or store dangerous waste on a long-term basis. This permit is also required to dispose of dangerous waste by burning or burying.

Permitted dangerous waste facilities are:

  • Operated by hazardous waste service providers.
  • Also known as TSDs, TSDRs, or TSDFs (which stands for some combination of Treatment, Storage, Disposal, or Recycling Facilities).

We are authorized by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the dangerous waste permitting process in Washington.

Dangerous waste permitting process

Anyone proposing to construct and operate a dangerous waste facility in Washington must comply with state and federal laws and regulations. One of those requirements is to obtain a final status, or Part B, permit from us.

The formal permitting process involves many steps. Years may pass between the time a facility submits an application and when it receives a permit approval or denial. Most of our dangerous waste permitting work is permit renewals. We rarely get applications for new facilities.

Current permitted dangerous waste facilities