Affordable housing planning grants
We've developed the Affordable Housing Cleanup Grant Program to help advance environmental cleanups for affordable housing developments. This program includes both cleanup and planning grants. The Affordable Housing Planning Grants (AHPG) can cover initial and remedial investigations, community involvement plans, project feasibility including planning, investigative, and technical work needed to proceed cleaning up contaminated sites. The purpose of the AHCGP is to expedite the cleanup and redevelopment of contaminated sites into affordable housing use and lessen the impact of cleanup costs.
Learn more: We presented information about the Affordable Housing Cleanup Grant Program at the Fall 2021 Housing Washington conference. The 50-minute recording includes questions and answers at the end.
- Amount of funding available: $1.6 million
- Grant award limit: $400,000 total eligible cost
- Amount of matching funds required: No match for local governments and nonprofit organizations; 25% match for private developers
Applications are not being accepted at this time.
If you have questions about a potential cleanup project for affordable housing development and whether it qualifies for an AHCG, contact Laurie Dahmen.
Funding is available for the following entities:
An Affordable Housing Planning Grant can be awarded to public, private, or nonprofit entities that are considering cleaning up a contaminated site for affordable housing end use.
- Environmental site assessments
- Remedial investigations
- Feasibility studies
- Community involvement
- Site planning
More information about this funding program
- EAGL instructions for 2023–25 Affordable Housing grant applications
- Affordable Housing Planning Grant funding guidelines
- Economically Disadvantaged Cities, Towns, and Counties in Washington State (2023–2025 Biennium)
Cultural resource review
For ground-disturbing remedial actions to be eligible for grant funding, Ecology or another state or federal agency must consult with the Washington Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation and affected Tribes before cleanup actions begin. Read more about our cultural resource review requirement.
Affordable Housing Planning Grants
See lists of Affordable Housing Planning Grants funded in the current and previous biennium.