Oversight remedial action grants & loans
Local governments can apply for a grant or loan to help clean up hazardous waste sites supervised by Ecology or EPA under a legal order or decree.
Every even-numbered year, we work with local governments to understand the 10-year cost of critical cleanup work in Washington. Their responses inform our biennial budget request to the governor and legislature. Our grant managers coordinate applications for grants and loans that receive funding every two years in the approved biennial budget.
- Amount of funding available: Established with each enacted capital budget
- Grant award limit: None
- Amount of matching funds required: 10–50 percent, but we may not fund all the eligible project costs
Applications are not being accepted at this time.
The next solicitation will occur in the first quarter of 2024 for potential funding in the 2025–27 Biennium. Guidance and instructions will be published in January. Solicitation will open February 6 and will close March 6 at 4 p.m.
Funding is available for the following entities:
- Local governments conducting cleanup actions under an order or decree. For more details, see WAC 173-322A-320(2).
- Interim actions
- Remedial investigations
- Feasibility studies and remedy selection
- Engineering design and remedy construction
- Operation and maintenance, or monitoring of constructed remedy for up to one year
- Landfill closures, if required as remedial actions
More information about this funding program
- 2023–2025 Remedial Action Grant funding program guidelines
- 2023–2025 Remedial Action Grant EAGL instructions
- Economically Disadvantaged Cities, Towns, and Counties in Washington State (2023–2025 Biennium)
- Past opportunities:
Cultural resource review
For ground-disturbing remedial actions to be eligible for grant or loan funding, Ecology or another state or federal agency must consult with the Washington Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation and affected Tribes before cleanup actions begin. Read more about our cultural resource review requirement.
Funded Remedial Action Grants
See lists of Remedial Action Grants funded in the current and previous biennium.