Wildlife response service providers (WRSP) are companies with trained personnel who are qualified to staff and manage wildlife response activities during an oil spill. We approve wildlife response service providers to allow them to be cited in industry oil spill contingency plans. These providers coordinate with state, federal, tribal, and other response partners to conduct wildlife reconnaissance, deterrence, capture, stabilization, and rehabilitation operations.
Requirements for wildlife response service providers
According to our contingency planning rule, an approved wildlife response service provider must commit to the following:
- Have a process to provide 24 hour per day contact for spill management
- Begin mobilization efforts immediately upon notification but no later than two hours from notification of a spill
- Assist plan holders in meeting requirements for plans and drills
- Implement and use the contingency plan(s) to which they are contracted during a spill and substantial threat of a spill, and train personnel to implement the plan
- Work in unified command within the incident command system to ensure that all personnel and equipment resources necessary to the response will be called out to clean up the spill safely and to the maximum extent practicable
- Provide written notification to Ecology and plan holders to whom they are obligated, within 24 hours, of any significant change in the information reported in the approved application
Our oil spill contingency plan rule requires a 30-day public review and comment period on WRSP applications.
State approved WRSPs
State-approved WRSPs may be cited in oil spill contingency plans. Companies granted approval as WRSPs:
PO Box 944
Anacortes, WA 98221
International Bird Rescue
4369 Cordelia Road
Fairfield, CA 94534
Oiled Wildlife Care Network
Wildlife Health Center, 1 Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
Technical assistance for WRSPs
The oil spill contingency plan rule guides wildlife response service provider requirements. Review our Wildlife Response Service Provider Focus Sheet.
Apply to become a state approved WRSP
Complete the WRSP application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org