2023 Hazardous Waste Planning Fee calculation
This table shows the fee you can expect based on the pounds of dangerous waste (DW), extremely hazardous waste (EHW), and releases your business or facility reported.
If you generated and released 4,000 pounds or more, your fee is calculated using the formula provided by the Hazardous Waste Fee Regulation (WAC 173-305-220) along with the statewide rate per risk pound.
DW = dangerous waste; EHW = extremely hazardous waste; TRI = Toxics Release Inventory;
*Statewide rate per risk pound
(DW + EHW)
|2,640 - 4,000
|4,000 and up
||4,000 and up
||(DW + TRI + (EHW x 10)) x $0.107342*
We apply a risk factor for specific types of dangerous wastes and TRI releases:
- State-only extremely hazardous waste (EHW) is multiplied by 10 times the current rate.
- Both federal dangerous waste and state-only EHW are multiplied by the rate (risk factor of 1).
- Federal dangerous wastes and TRI releases are multiplied by the rate (risk factor of 1).
Read our Interim Policy for the Hazardous Waste Planning Fee for more information.
When is payment due?
Payment is due by July 1. After you receive your invoice by email, you have the option to pay online using EcoEPay.
What types of waste are not counted toward the fee?
- On-site recycled waste
- Exempt waste
- Treatment by generator wastes
- Permit by rule wastes
- Non-recurrent waste according to the Dangerous Waste Annual Report
What is the purpose of the fee?
The Hazardous Waste Planning Fee funds technical and compliance education assistance for waste generators in Washington.
Frequently asked questions
For 2022, the statewide rate per risk pound is 0.113155.
This rate is calculated yearly in accordance with the Hazardous Waste Planning Fee regulation (WAC 173-305-220).
Yes. There is a cap on the total revenue collected for this fee.
Facilities don't pay more than this year′s cap (maximum fee), which is determined by the Legislature and adjusted by the rate of inflation.
Caps for 2022:
- $74 cap for facilities if the total dangerous waste (including waste classified as EHW) is between 2,640 and 4,000 pounds.
- $24,105 cap (maximum fee) for individual facilities or interrelated facilities preparing a single plan.
- $2,410,509 cap on total program revenues from all facilities. The rate per pound is calculated to make sure this cap isn′t exceeded.
If a hazardous waste management facility or treatment, storage, disposal, and recycling (TSDR) facility recycles your waste, you may be eligible for recycling credits. This may help reduce your fee.
A 1% interest rate per month may be added to your fee (see RCW 43.17.240).
Email the Pollution Prevention Plan Team or call 360-999-3657 to set up this agreement or get more information.