If your business submits a Pollution Prevention Plan, you may need to pay this fee.
When is the Hazardous Waste Planning Fee due?
By July 1, 2017. If not paid by the due date, interest may be added to the amount owed.
Who pays the fee?
Your business must pay the fee if you:
How does Ecology calculate the fee?
The Hazardous Waste Planning Fee formula uses the pounds of hazardous waste generated from the Dangerous Waste Annual Report and pounds of releases from the Toxics Release Inventory Report (Form R).
The fee calculation includes recurrent manifested hazardous waste (minus off-site recycling credits) and any toxic releases. The statewide rate per pound is currently 0.079019. Extremely Hazardous Waste (EHW) is counted at 10 times that rate.
If a hazardous waste management facility or Treatment, Storage, Disposal, and Recycling (TSDR) facility recycles your waste, you may be eligible for recycling credits. This may help reduce your fee.
Are there types of waste that are not counted?
Yes, they include:
- On-site recycled waste
- Exempt waste
- Treatment by generator wastes
- Permit by rule wastes
- Non-recurrent waste according to the Dangerous Waste Annual Report
Are there caps to this fee?
Yes. There is a cap on the total revenue collected for this fee. Facilities also don't pay more than that year′s fee cap, which is determined by the Legislature and adjusted by the rate of inflation.
This year, the caps are:
- $62 cap for facilities if the total dangerous waste (including waste classified as EHW) is between 2,640 and 4,000 pounds.
- $20,246 cap on individual facilities or interrelated facilities preparing a single plan.
- $2,024,614 cap on total program revenues from all facilities. The rate per pound is calculated to make sure this cap isn′t exceeded.
Can I make an online payment?
Only select fees can be paid online. You will need your invoice number. Visit our EcoEPay site to make an online payment.
- For credit card payment, there's a 2.5 percent convenience fee.
- There are no added fees if you pay by check.