Agricultural burning & permitting

We issue permits for commercial agricultural burning. Agricultural burning can be an important part of your business. We want to help you do it safely and legally.  Be sure burning is the best method for your land and consider alternatives to burning.

Daily agricultural burn decision

Image of an agricultural burn from the air showing a lot of smoke.

Smoke from a field burn is rising out of the area and is not impacting neighbors.

We make a daily decision about agricultural burning to help reduce the health effects from smoke. To make the daily burn decision, we look at current and future air quality conditions.  Based on that information, we announce whether burning is allowed in your county and zone for that day.

Call 1-800-406-5322 to check the daily burn decision.

Before you burn

Try alternatives to agricultural burning:

  • Vary crops
  • Reduce weeds
  • Use other practices that remove or reduce the need to burn

If burning is still your best choice, get a permit under "Permit applications" below.

After you receive your agricultural burn permit:

  • Check the daily burn decision:
  • Know what burn zone your field is in. It's listed on your permit.
  • Contact your local fire department to make sure there's no local burn ban.
  • Know the conditions of your permit and follow them.

After you burn

  • Make sure the fire is completely out.
  • Submit your post-burn report (“blue card”).

Permit information

Permit applications Permit fees Determine if you are an agricultural operation What you need a permit for Where to get a permit Agricultural burn zones Best Management Practices (BMPs)

Permit applications

There are five types of agricultural burn permits available. Each has its own application that provides complete instructions for obtaining a permit.
Baled residue Conservation Reserve Program  Field Pile Spot 
Contact one of our regional offices or your local clean air agency if you have questions about what permit application you need or to find out if burning is allowed in your area.
County Phone Email
Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan Counties 509-575-2490
Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman Counties 509-329-3400
San Juan County 425-649-7267
Benton, Spokane, Yakima, and all other western Washington Counties   Contact your local clean air agency