State-approved primary response contractors
These approved primary response contractors may be listed in oil spill contingency plans.
Requirements for PRCs
According to our contingency planning rule, an approved primary response contractor must commit to the following:
- Have a process to provide 24-hour per day contact for spill response
- Begin mobilization efforts immediately upon notification but no longer than one hour from notification of a spill
- Maintain equipment in accordance with manufacturer specifications
- Identify and train staff and supervisors expected to be deployed on oil spill response tactics or used to meet the plan holder planning standards
- Assist plan holders in meeting the requirements for plans and drills
- Maintain a list of PRC response equipment on the Worldwide Response Resource List or provide an equivalent electronic equipment list and confirm the accuracy of the list on a quarterly basis
- Provide written notification to us and plan holders to whom they are obligated, within 24 hours, of any significant change in the information reported in the approved application
- Participate in drill and equipment verification programs
Our oil spill contingency plan rule requires a 30-day public review and comment period
on PRC plans and applications.
Apply to become a PRC
Complete the PRC application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical assistance for PRCs
Alternative vessel travel speeds
When reviewing industry oil spill plans, we analyze whether response equipment is in strategic locations that can be moved from a home base to a potential spill site within certain planning timeframes. Standard travel speeds of 35 miles per hour over land and five knots over water and 100 knots by air are applied, unless plan holders request alternative travel speeds and we grant them.
Because you own the equipment and keep records on performance, your customers may ask you for help to meet this requirement (WAC 173-182-350). In order for the request to be accepted by us, new or updated alternative transit speed submissions should be conducted under one of the following options: