Notification of dangerous waste activity

If you manage dangerous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and Washington State Dangerous Waste Regulations you are required to notify us.

What is an EPA/State ID number?

An EPA/State ID number is tied to a single geographic location, as opposed to a particular business name. You will need this number if you are a:

  • Site that generated regulated amounts of dangerous waste.
  • Transporter of regulated quantities of dangerous waste.
  • Facility that transfers, stores, treats, recycles, or disposes dangerous waste.

It is used to identify your site on things such as:

This number is used for both federal and state regulations to report dangerous waste activities. It is not a license or permit. 

How to apply for an EPA/State ID Number

First, make sure your site has no number associated with it:

If your site’s address has:

Note: EPA/State ID Numbers are not transferable to other physical locations (unless you are a transporter).

How do I notify Ecology about other waste activities?

If you decide to manage your waste under the following circumstances, you must:

  • Fill out the appropriate addendum.
  • Open your pre-printed Site ID form in TurboWaste and print it.
  • Mail these to Ecology. 

If you do not have access to TurboWaste, please contact us.


Episodic generation

Episodic generation is a planned or unplanned waste event that would normally bump your generator status to a larger category. Only medium and small quantity generators can choose to use this rule. You may notify us of one episodic event in a calendar year (Jan. 1–Dec. 31).

Planned episodic event

If you intend to have an episodic event, you must notify us first:

We recommend that you submit your notification a minimum of 60 days prior to the planned event proposed start date.

If we receive your form less than 30 calendar days before the proposed start date, we will change your start date to meet the minimum 30 calendar day requirement.

Unplanned episodic event

Unexpected waste generation events require immediate notification:

  • Within 72 hours of the event, notify your regional HWTR office by email or fax.
  • Within 30 days of the event, fill out the addendum and mail it with your pre-printed Site ID form.

Second episodic event in the same calendar year

You must petition your regional office and wait for our approval before managing your dangerous waste as episodic.

Large quantity consolidation Hazardous secondary materials

Other notifications