What is an EPA/State ID Number?
An EPA/State ID Number identifies a single geographic location for a:
- Site that generated regulated amounts of dangerous waste.
- Transporter of regulated quantities of dangerous waste.
- Facility that transfers, stores, treats, recycles, or disposes dangerous waste.
The EPA/State ID Number satisfies both the federal and state regulations for reporting dangerous waste activities. It is not a license or permit.
What is an EPA/State ID Number used for?
It is used to identify your site on:
How to apply for an EPA/State ID Number
To apply for a EPA/State ID Number you must request and complete the Dangerous Waste Site ID form. The first step in applying is to look up the address for the site where you are generating dangerous waste.
If your site:
Note: EPA/State ID Numbers are not transferable to other physical locations.
If your business moves to a new location and continues to generate hazardous waste, you must:
- Withdraw the EPA/State ID Number for the old location.
- Apply for an EPA/State ID Number for the new location or reactivate a previously withdrawn number for the new location.
How do I revise my information or withdraw the EPA/State ID Number?
You can login to TurboWaste to submit an Update Notification to withdraw or revise previously submitted information. All information can be updated electronically except legal ownership (section 5).
Once an EPA/State ID Number is assigned to a site, it stays active until you withdraw it. This is true of "one-time only" sites, as well as sites that regularly generate dangerous waste.
An EPA/State ID Number can be withdrawn when:
Don't have access to TurboWaste?
TurboWaste is the online reporting system for Dangerous Waste Annual Reports. If you don't have access to TurboWaste, you must contact Ecology to request a pre-printed EPA/State ID form. Use this form to revise information or withdraw an active EPA/State ID Number.
The form must:
- Have an original, wet ink signature by an authorized representative for your site.
- Be mailed to the address at the top of the form.
Note: We will return all forms that do not have an original, wet ink signature. Copies, faxes, or emails are not accepted.