Notification of dangerous waste activity

urgent alert icon

TurboWaste cannot receive amendment requests at this time

TurboWaste is having issues receiving amendment requests at this time. Please email any amendment request directly to until we can resolve this issue.

Please type Amendment Request in the subject line, and in your email, provide the reason for the amendment and year of the report.

info icon

Paper reporting requirements

If you plan to submit your report on paper, follow the requirements for paper reporting.

Businesses are required to notify us of dangerous waste activities if they manage dangerous waste under Washington State Dangerous Waste Regulations as mandated by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).

Businesses must have an EPA/State ID number to submit notifications. These numbers can be created, reactivated, or withdrawn. Some businesses may need to notify us of additional activities, such as:

  • Episodic events (planned or unplanned).
  • Large quantity consolidation.
  • Hazardous secondary materials.

Health care facilities may also need to notify us if they intend to manage waste under the special requirements.

What is an EPA/State ID number?

An EPA/State ID number is tied to a single geographic location, as opposed to a particular business name. It is used for both federal and state regulations to report dangerous waste activities. It is not a license or permit.

It is used to identify your site for things such as:

You will need this number if you are a:

  • Site generating regulated amounts of dangerous waste.
  • Transporter of dangerous waste.
  • Facility that transfers, stores, treats, recycles, or disposes of dangerous waste.

How do you apply for an EPA/State ID Number?

First, make sure your site does not already have a number associated with it:

Based on your search, follow the instructions for what you found:

Note: EPA/State ID Numbers are not transferable to other physical locations (unless you are a transporter).

How do you withdraw an EPA/State ID number?

Once an EPA/State ID number is assigned to a site, it stays active until you withdraw it. You can only withdraw your number once all of the following conditions are met:​

  • All dangerous waste activity has stopped.
  • All dangerous wastes have been removed from the site. 
  • We have received all Dangerous Waste Annual Reports for all active years.

Withdrawal process by generator type

Follow the instructions to withdraw your EPA/State ID number based on your generator type. Large quantity generators (LQGs) have additional requirements to meet.

How do you notify for other waste activities?

If you have other waste activities to notify us about, such as:

  • Episodic generation (planned or unplanned),
  • Large quantity generator consolidation of small quantity generator waste, or
  • Hazardous secondary materials, then

Follow these steps:

Step 1: Fill out the appropriate addendum

Step 2: Complete and mail forms

  • Open your pre-printed Site ID form in TurboWaste and print it.
  • Mail the completed forms to Ecology at:
    • HWTR Annual Reporting Team
      P.O. Box 47658
      Olympia, WA 98504

If you do not have access to TurboWaste, please contact us.

How do you notify about the special requirements for pharmaceutical waste?

Health care facilities must notify Ecology within 60 days of being subject to the special requirements for pharmaceutical waste.

Frequently asked questions