Episodic generation is a planned or unplanned waste event that would normally bump your generator category to a larger category. Only medium and small quantity generators can choose to use this rule. You may notify us of one episodic event in a calendar year (Jan. 1–Dec. 31).
Planned episodic event
If you intend to have an episodic event, you must notify us first:
We recommend that you submit your notification a minimum of 60 days prior to the planned event proposed start date.
If we receive your form less than 30 calendar days before the proposed start date, we will change your start date to meet the minimum 30 calendar day requirement.
Unplanned episodic event
Unexpected waste generation events require immediate notification:
- Within 72 hours of the event, notify your regional HWTR office by email or fax.
- Within 30 days of the event, fill out the addendum and mail it with your pre-printed Site ID form.
Second episodic event in the same calendar year
You must petition your regional office and wait for our approval before managing your dangerous waste as episodic.
This rule allows large quantity generators (LQGs) to receive waste from state small quantity generators (SQGs) that are under the same company, if they meet the conditions for exemption (WAC 173-303-200(15)).
To manage your state SQG waste under large quantity consolidation:
You may not begin consolidation until Ecology has approved your notification. Consolidation may begin 30 days or more after approval.
To update or add additional state SQG sites:
- Fill out the LQG Consolidation Addendum.
- Mail the addendum with a pre-printed Site ID form to Ecology.
Hazardous secondary material (HSM) is material that, when discarded, is identified as dangerous waste during recycling processes involving solid waste (WAC 173-303-017(7)). A generator of HSM may apply for a variance following the procedures in the chapter.
To start managing your HSM under these requirements, you must:
- Contact your regional office to begin the application process.
- Request and fill out the HSM Addendum.
- Mail the pre-printed Site ID form and HSM Addendum form to Ecology.