PCB light replacement in schools

comment icon

Now accepting applications!

Fill out an application to apply for the program. If your school district qualifies, we will contact you with next steps.

Do not perform any replacement work until we notify you of your application status. Please contact us with any questions or if you need help filling out your application.

We are working with the Department of Health to reimburse qualifying K-12 schools in Washington to replace light ballasts that may contain polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). While the manufacture of PCBs in the U.S. was banned in 1979, they remain in buildings built or renovated before or around this time.

PCB-containing light ballasts are likely present if:

  • Your school was built or last renovated before 1980.
  • Has not had a complete lighting upgrade since that time. 
  • Older magnetic ballasts or T12 lamps are present.

What do PCB-containing light ballasts look like?

PCB-containing light ballast

A typical pre-1979 PCB-containing fluorescent light ballast

The ballast is a rectangular box in a light fixture that regulates the flow of electicity.

PCB-containing magnetic ballasts were commonly used in fluorescent light fixtures that hold T12 lamps.

  • The "T" means tubular.
  • The "12" indicates a 12/8-inch (1.5-inch) diameter.

If you have these lamps in your school building(s), the ballasts could contain PCBs. To verify, you must do a visual inspection of the lighting in your school.

How do you receive reimbursement?

Frequently asked questions