Chapter 173-219 WAC
On January 23, 2018 the Department of Ecology adopted a new rule, Chapter 173-219 WAC, Reclaimed Water. This rule addresses all aspects of reclaimed water; including permitting for the generation, distribution, and use of reclaimed water across Washington state. It applies to all existing and proposed facilities that are — or will be — designed, constructed, operated, and maintained in the state of Washington to generate, distribute, and/or use reclaimed water.
Existing reclaimed water facilities must comply with this chapter on the effective date of Feb. 23, 2018 or make an in-writing request for an extension as provided for in WAC 173-219-040.
Download the adopted rule language.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
June 4, 2014
Ecology started this rulemaking in 2006. The rulemaking was delayed in 2010 under Governor's Executive Order # 10-06 and # 11-03. We restarted the rulemaking in 2014. This page presents rulemaking information from 2014 through the anticipated adoption in 2018. Information about the rule development between 2006 and 2010 are stored in the rulemaking file.
Walk through the changes made to the working draft rule language in response to the first round comments and concerns. Discuss sections needing particular focus during the second round review, as needed. Preliminary draft review and comment period May 3 – May 30, 2017
Walk through working draft rule language to discuss each section as needed.
Reconvene RAC, introduce new rule writer, review updated draft performance based standards and use specific requirements.
December 2010 - Rulemaking delayed
- See the withdrawal notice above for more details.
November 2006 - rulemaking begins
Rule development phaseJune 4, 2014 - Aug. 23, 2017
Public input & involvement
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Aug. 23, 2017
- 2017 Proposal Notice - CR-102 form
- Notice to interested parties
- Proposed rule language
- Preliminary regulatory analyses
- SEPA Checklist and Determination of Nonsignificance
- Preliminary Draft Reclaimed Water Facilities Manual - The Purple Book
- Reclaimed water focus sheet
- Public workshop and hearing webinar recording
- Withdrawal Notice for Proposal Notice Continuance filed on Aug. 17, 2015 and Proposal Notice filed on June 22, 2015
- Proposal Notice Continuance - CR-102 form - Extends public comment period to Sept. 21, 2015
- Proposal Notice – CR-102 form
- Proposal Notice - Focus Sheet
The comment period is now closed. We are reviewing comments and preparing the adoption packet.
Rule adoption phase (CR-103)
Jan. 23, 2018
Feb. 23, 2018
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711. People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.