Index SMP: comprehensive update and periodic review
On January 28, 2020,we approved the Town of Index’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) comprehensive update and periodic review. Per RCW 90.58.090, the effective date of Index’s SMP is Feb. 11, 2020, 14 days after we provided notice to the town that their SMP was approved.
The town's SMP comprehensive and periodic update includes significant changes to most of the SMP sections, including but not limited to:
- Administrative policies and regulations
- Shoreline environment designations
- Shoreline uses and modification regulations
- Standards for wetlands in shoreline jurisdiction
The SMP applies to both the in-water and adjacent upland areas including the North Fork Skykomish River.
This approval puts the final stamp on an effort that increases protection and restoration of shoreline habitat; provides more certainty for development, while also improving public access and recreational opportunities.
A public comment period was conducted from Aug. 7 to Sept. 6, 2019. We used mail and email to notify interested parties of the public comment period. No comments were received.
Documents related to approval
Note: All documents are PDF
- Director of Ecology's Jan. 28, 2020, final approval letter
- Town of Index Ordinance No. 477
- Periodic Review Checklist