Raymond Shoreline Master Program: periodic review
On July 13, 2023, we approved the City of Raymond’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) periodic review amendment.
Raymond’s updated SMP is effective July 27, 2023, 14 days after we provided notice to the city that their amendment was approved.
The Raymond SMP regulates shoreline uses and activities along approximately 20 miles of shoreline along the Willapa River, South Fork Willapa River, Skidmore Slough, and Elk Creek. The entirety of the city’s shoreline is tidally connected to Willapa Bay and is designated a Shoreline of Statewide Significance. The city’s periodic review amendment brings the SMP into compliance with state rules that have been added or changed since the city’s comprehensive SMP update in 2017. It also ensures the SMP remains consistent with amended comprehensive plans and regulations, and incorporates revisions deemed necessary to reflect changed local circumstances, new information, or improved data.
On June 7, 2023, we provided the City with recommended changes to their periodic review amendment. The changes are based on our review of whether or not the proposed update complies with state laws and rules, and a public comment period held March 17 to April 17, 2023.
Email notices were used to notify those who had expressed prior interest. Written comments were received from one (1) organization. Comments are focused on use of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s riparian management recommendations. On April 18, 2023, we sent a summary of comments to the City for their response. The public comments and City’s responses have been incorporated into Attachment A: Findings and Conclusions as well as the Responsiveness Summary, both provided below.
The City sent formal response to Ecology’s Director on July 11, 2023, accepting all of our recommended changes.
Documents related to approval
Note: All documents are PDF
- Ecology's July 13, 2023 final approval letter
- City of Raymond letter accepting our changes
- Director of Ecology's June 7, 2023 approval letter with recommended changes
- Response to Comments
- Resolution 2023-01
- SMP Amendment
- Critical Areas Ordinance
- Periodic Review Checklist
- Ocean Management Checklist
- SEPA DNS and Environmental Checklist
Paper copies of the above documents are available by contacting Tess Brandon.
- Per RCW 90.58.190(2) and RCW 36.70A.290, an interested party may file an appeal with the Growth Management Hearings Board within 60 days of the publication date of our written notice of final action.
- We plan to publish the notice of final action in the Willapa Harbor Herald legal ads on August 2, 2023.