Mercury is found in a variety of products and industries. We regulate mercury as a dangerous waste. If your business has mercury dangerous waste, you must manage it properly and protect your workers.
Managing waste containing mercury
Mercury is common in:
Learn more about mercury's toxicity, health effects, and how we regulate it.
If you have liquid (elemental) mercury:
- Never rinse it down the drain.
- Never dispose of it in the trash.
- Never dispose of it in the sharps container or as medical waste.
- Recycle all mercury.
Cleaning mercury spills
If you have a mercury spill:
- Never clean it up with a vacuum.
- Never clean it up with a broom.
- Never pour it down the drain.
- Never get it on your shoes.
- Learn what to do if your mercury thermometer or light bulb breaks.