Mercury is found in a wide variety of products. If your business works with mercury-containing products, they must be handled properly as dangerous waste to protect your workers and the environment.
Not a business?
If you are a household or individual looking for ways to recycle your household items, please go to 1-800-RECYCLE.
Want to recycle mercury thermostats? Visit the Thermostat Recycling Corporation.
Common mercury-containing products
How to handle liquid mercury
If you have liquid (elemental) mercury:
- Never rinse it down the drain.
- Never dispose of it in the trash.
- Never dispose of it in the sharps container or as medical waste.
- Recycle it!
How to clean up mercury spills
Learn what to do if your mercury thermometer or light bulb breaks.
If you have a mercury spill:
- Never clean it up with a vacuum.
- Never clean it up with a broom.
- Never pour it down the drain.
- Never get it on your shoes.