Burn permits

We issue burn permits for agriculture, outdoor, and residential burning to safeguard healthy air for Washington. The type and location of burning you are planning will determine if you need a permit. Check for a burn ban before you begin burning.

Eastern Washington wheat field

Agricultural burn permits

Agricultural burning can be an important part of your business, and we want to help you accomplish this safely and legally. Learn more about agricultural burning requirements and obtain an agricultural burn permit.

Outdoor and residential burn permits

The types of burning we oversee include:
  • land clearing
  • residential yard waste burning
  • campfires
  • fire training burns 
Before you begin burning, verify if you need a permit, if the type of burning you want to do is allowed in your area, or if there is a burn ban in place.

Where you live determines what you can burn

Whether or not outdoor burning is legal is determined by the location of your residence or business. Before you begin burning, read our outdoor and residential burning page to determine what burning is allowed in your area.

More information

Contact one of our regional offices or your local clean air agency if you have questions about what permit application you need or to find out if burning is allowed in your area.

  • Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan counties
  • Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties
  • San Juan County
    Technical Services Section manager