Tier Two reporting

reporting icon
Tier Two is an annual report of hazardous chemicals and extremely hazardous substances (EHS). It is part of Hazardous Chemical Inventory Reporting, one of the key reports required under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA).

Reports are due March 1 every year.

To complete the reporting process:

  • Use Tier Two online to complete the report.
  • Submit copies of the report to your:
    • Local emergency planning committee (LEPC).
    • Fire department.
    • Tribal emergency planning committee (TERC) (if applicable).

Does your facility need to submit a Tier Two report?

If your facility stores any of the following on-site at any time, you must submit a Tier Two report:

  • Hazardous chemicals: 10,000 pounds or more.
  • Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS): 500 pounds OR the threshold planning quantity (TPQ), whichever is lower.

How do you find the TPQ?

To find the threshold planning quantity (TPQ):

  • Use your Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to determine your products' ingredients.
  • Refer to the Environmental Protection Agency's Consolidated List of Lists to determine if your products' ingredients are listed and determine the TPQ.

NOTE: All EHS’s are listed, but not all reportable products are included.

How do you access Tier Two Online?

To access Tier Two Online, you must sign up for a Secure Access Washington (SAW) account, then add it as a service from within SAW.

How do you complete the Tier Two reporting process?

1. Log into Tier Two Online via SAW

  • Go to your SAW account.
  • Click "Access Now" next to Tier Two Online to open your report.

Note: If you do not have an account, or if Tier Two Online does not appear under your list of services, follow the steps listed under How to access Tier Two Online.

2. Fill out your Tier Two report

  • Reporting instructions appear on the right side of Tier Two Online.
  • Fill out the report in full.
  • Click "Submit" when your report is complete.

By submitting your report online, you also fulfill the requirement of submitting your report to the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC). You do not need to send copies to us.

3. Send report to other required emergency planning agencies

To complete your Tier Two reporting requirements, you must also send your report to:

To send your report to these agencies:

Option 1:

  • Download your report from Tier Two Online.
  • Email a copy to the applicable agencies listed above.

Option 2:

  • Print, wet ink sign, and mail a hard copy to the applicable agencies listed above.

Does my facility qualify for an exemption?

Facilities qualify for an exemption if they:

  • Reduce the quantities of all products stored on-site below reporting thresholds.
  • Close.

How to complete the exemption process

  • Fill out the exemption form.
  • Submit the form to:
    • Ecology (contact information is noted on the form).
    • All other applicable agencies: TERCLEPC, local fire department.

What if your exemption status changes?

  • If quantities of chemicals stored on-site exceed reportable thresholds again, you must contact the applicable agencies.

Frequently asked questions