Tier Two reporting

reporting icon
Tier Two is an annual report of hazardous chemicals and extremely hazardous substances (EHS). It is part of Hazardous Chemical Inventory Reporting, one of the key reports required under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA).

Reports are due March 1 every year.

Use Tier Two online to submit your report, then download and email or print and mail copies to your:

  • Local emergency planning committee (LEPC).
  • Fire department.
  • Tribal emergency planning committee (TERC) (if applicable).

Does your facility need to submit a Tier Two report?

If your facility stores any of the following on-site at any time, you must submit a Tier Two report:

  • Hazardous chemicals: 10,000 pounds or more.
  • Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS): 500 pounds OR the threshold planning quantity (TPQ), whichever is lower.

How do you find the threshold planning quantity (TPQ)?

To find the TPQ:

  • Use your Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to determine your products' ingredients.
  • Refer to the Environmental Protection Agency's Consolidated List of Lists to determine if your products' ingredients are listed and determine the TPQ.

NOTE: All EHS’s are listed, but not all reportable products are included.

How do you access Tier Two Online?

To access Tier Two Online, you must sign up for a Secure Access Washington (SAW) account, then add it as a service from within SAW.

How do you submit your Tier Two report?

Once you have access to Tier Two Online through your SAW account, you can submit your report.

Does your facility qualify for an exemption?

Facilities qualify for an exemption if they:

  • Reduce the quantities of all products stored on-site below reporting thresholds.
  • Close.

How to complete the exemption process

  • Fill out the exemption form.
  • Submit the form to:
    • Ecology (contact information is noted on the form).
    • All other applicable agencies: TERCLEPC, local fire department.

What if your exemption status changes?

If quantities of chemicals stored on-site exceed reportable thresholds again, you must contact the applicable agencies.

Frequently asked questions