Report a spill of oil or hazardous materials

All oil and hazardous materials spills cause environmental damage. The sooner a spill is reported, the quicker it can be addressed, resulting in less harm.

How to report a spill

If you see a spill, report it by calling 1-800-OILS-911 (Washington Emergency Management Division, 24/7). During regular business hours, you can call the appropriate Ecology regional office.

If you spill

Spills of oil or hazardous materials to water must be reported immediately to help reduce impacts to the environment. Failure to report a spill you're responsible for could result in penalties.

  1. Stop the spill and warn others in the area immediately.
  2. Shut off any ignition sources, including cigarettes.
  3. Contain the spill.
  4. Report the spill immediately to BOTH:

There are no penalties for reporting a spill unnecessarily, but there may be significant penalties for not reporting one.

Reporting different types of spills

Type of spill Reporting requirements Required contacts
Oil and hazardous substance spills to water
  • Report it immediately.
  • The National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802
  • Washington Emergency Management Division at 1-800-258-5990
Release of hazardous or extremely hazardous substance
Dangerous waste
  • Report it immediately.
Leaking underground storage tanks
  • Report within 24 hours.
Oil spills to ground
  • Report within 90 days.
  • Oil industry contingency plan holders may have different reporting timeframes designated by their contingency plans.
Spills to air
  • Report within 90 days.



Translated content