Vaping & e-cigarettes

The Washington State Board of Health has approved an emergency rule banning the sale of flavored vaping products for 120 days, effective Oct. 10, 2019. The ban, which came in response to an executive order from Governor Jay Inslee, restricts the sale of all flavored vaping products, including flavored THC products. 

With this new ruling, retailers who wish to discard or dispose of expired or used vapor products must do so under the state dangerous waste regulations or our interim policy.

How to dispose of vapor products

Vapor products must be disposed of according to the Washington dangerous waste regulations or the nicotine vaping waste interim policy.

  • Do not put vaping products in the trash. 
  • Do not burn them.
  • Do not pour them down the drain.

Nicotine-containing vapor products

Dispose of these products under the dangerous waste regulations or interim policy.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing vapor products

Follow the interim policy guidance, which allows THC-containing vapor products products to be classified as a non-dangerous waste. Render these products unusuable following acceptable marijuana waste disposal methods (WAC 314-55-097(4)). 

Vaping waste interim policy

Our nicotine vaping waste interim policy applies to:

  • Vapor product vendors who are small quantity generators (SQGs)
  • Dangerous waste brokers
  • Transporters
  • Treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDs)

This policy is less stringent than the dangerous waste regulations, making it easier for retailers to dispose of their vaping products. This policy went into effect Oct. 10, 2019 and ends Feb. 7, 2020.


Hazardous Waste Service Providers

Transporters and TSD facilities