Municipal stormwater permit guidance

Municipal stormwater permits require local stormwater management program implementation. 

Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) elements

Overall guidance

The EPA provides resources for all the components on the municipal stormwater permits.
The Washington Stormwater Center provides resources for municipal stormwater permittees.

Coordination opportunities

Eastern Washington

Eastern Region Stormwater Coordinators Group

Information sharing and networking for Phase II permittees in Ecology's Eastern Region including Asotin, Asotin County, Clarkston, Pullman, Spokane, Spokane County, Spokane Valley, Moses Lake, Pasco, Walla Walla County, City of Walla Walla, and Washington State University.  

Regional Stormwater Policy Group (RSPG) Co-Permittees

City of Yakima, Yakima County, City of Union Gap, and City of Sunnyside. Members include County Commissioner, City Managers, Mayor, Public Work Directors, and City Councilmen. Ecology attends, but is a non-voting participant.

  • Contact: David Haws, Yakima County, 509-574-2300

Wenatchee Valley Stormwater Technical Advisory Committee

City of East Wenatchee, City of Wenatchee, Chelan County, and Douglas County

Quad-Cities Storm Water Group

Municipalities in the Tri-Cities Area — Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, and West Richland

  • Contact: City of Richland, 509-574-7508

Western Washington

Other Guidance

Secondary Permittees

Our municipal stormwater permits generally cover cities and counties. However, there are other public entities (such as ports, prison complexes, parks and recreation districts, universities, or diking and drainage districts) that own or operate a stormwater sewer system located in a Phase I or Phase II city or county.

These stormwater sewer systems are also known as municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). A public entity with an MS4 may be required to get a secondary municipal stormwater permit.

Do I need a permit?