Counting dangerous waste
If your business generates dangerous waste, you are required to know how much of this waste you generate each month — we call this “counting.”
Counting means you know the weight of your dangerous waste. This can include wastes that you:
- Dispose of.
- Ship off-site on a manifest.
You may have to count some wastes you haven't thought of — for example, still bottoms.
Read our publication, Counting dangerous waste under the Dangerous Waste Regulations for detailed guidance.
I want to:
Why count dangerous waste?
The type and amount of waste you generate each month determines your generator category. Your generator category determines which rules apply to your business. It is also needed to fill out your:
How do you count or find the weight of your waste?
- Count your dangerous waste each month.
- The highest amount you generate (or accumulate) in any month is what determines your generator category.
- Do not average multiple months over time.
Here are three ways to find the weight of your waste:
- Read our Counting Dangerous Waste publication for more detailed information.