Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
Ecology's Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction program works to safely manage and reduce hazardous waste in Washington.
The Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction program enforces Washington's toxics laws, including the Dangerous Waste regulations that many businesses need to comply with. We also offer technical assistance to businesses to reduce or eliminate their use of hazardous chemicals, work to identify safer chemical alternatives, support the development of green chemistry, and test consumer products for toxic chemicals.
Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction programs and services:
- Inspecting businesses that generate large quantities of hazardous waste
- Providing technical assistance to help businesses reduce their use of toxic chemicals
- Testing consumer products for toxics to ensure manufacturers comply with Washington's toxics laws
- Collecting reports from manufacturers on toxics in products under Washington's Children's Safe Products Act
- Developing chemical action plans to reduce the impacts of toxic chemicals.
- Collecting information on hazardous waste generation
- Collecting information on chemical storage
- Collecting pollution prevention plans from businesses
- Administering Washington's hazardous waste generation fee
- Overseeing cleanup and permitting for current and former chemical facilities
- Coordinating Washington's Pollution Prevention Assistance program