Comment period: Oct. 28 - Dec. 4, 2020
We invite you to comment on draft air quality Agreed Order 18100 for the Alcoa Wenatchee aluminum smelter.
This facility temporarily closed (curtailed) in 2015. The proposed order requires it to:
- Prepare and submit a Four-Factor Analysis.
- Install and put in place reasonable air pollution reduction measures approved by Ecology before restarting its potlines.
A Four-Factor Analysis assesses and compares potential air pollution (emissions) control technologies for cost, time needed to install the control, energy and non-air quality impacts, and remaining useful life of equipment. This is part of Washington’s work under our air quality implementation plan to improve air quality by reducing regional haze — the human-caused particles in the air from activities such as industrial operations and burning of fuel — to improve visibility.
Se está llevando a cabo un periodo de comentario. Usted puede revisar y comentar sobre los borradores de los documentos del permiso. Estos describen los requisitos ambientales con los que debe cumplir una instalación industrial. Comuníquese con Angie Fritz al 360-407-7393 o firstname.lastname@example.org para obtener más información. Para información en Español, por favor envíe un correo electrónico a email@example.com o comuníquese con Gustavo Ordóñez al 360-407-6619.
How can I commment?
You can submit your comments:
- Using the online comment form
- By mail (postmarked by Dec. 4, 2020) to Liem Nguyen, Industrial Section, P.O. Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504.
A public meeting, followed by a hearing to accept oral comments on this action will take place:
Dec. 1, 2020
Starting at 4 p.m.
Register for and attend the event
After the close of the comment period, we will consider and respond to all comments, and make the final decision on issuing the order.
The controls selected by the Four-Factor analysis will become part of Washington’s air quality plan to reduce sulfur dioxide emissions that contribute to regional haze. The air pollution reductions expected will be reported in the Regional Haze plan that will be available for public review and comment in 2021.
Published Oct. 28, 2020
This facility is temporarily shut down. When running, it turns alumina ore into aluminum metal. Recycling of aluminum does not take place at this location.
- At full production, the facility is able to produce about 220,000 tons of aluminum each year.
- Wastewater is sent to the Columbia River. Though the smelter is currently closed, Alcoa continues to monitor pollutants in their treated sanitary wastewater, non-contact cooling water, and stormwater.
Alcoa Wenatchee contacts
Facility phone: 509-663-9246
Location: 6200 Malaga Highway, Malaga, Wash.