We regulate the air, water, hazardous waste, and composting activities at the Boise White Paper pulp and paper mill in Wallula.
Voluntary Air Pollution Limit
Comment period: April 19 - May 19, 2018
We invite you to comment on proposed Administrative Order 15757, which adds a new Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) air pollution ("emission") limit to a piece of equipment at the Boise Wallula mill called No. 3 Paper Machine. The mill requested that we apply this limit.
In May of this year, the mill:
This Order does not allow physical changes ("modifications") to any of the air pollution sources at the mill. Read the proposed order and comment period notice for more information.
- Plans to shut down its bleach plant and stop making bleached paper products.
- Will only make unbleached products with No. 3 Paper Machine.
- Will limit the VOC emissions to 1.6 tons/month from this machine. It currently has no limits.
As a result of the change in production of unbleached products, there is the potential for emissions increases of:
These increases do not account for any reductions in emissions that will result from shutting down the bleach plant.
- 22.3 tons of VOCs each year.
- 2.7 tons of total reduced sulfur (TRS) compounds each year.
- 0.2 tons of particulate matter each year.
This facility is a kraft pulp and paper mill and corrugated container plant.
- With around 400 employees, the pulp and paper mill makes about 1,400 tons of bleached paper, fine, coated paper, and corrugated medium each day.
- The container plant has about 155 employees and makes approximately 5 million square feet of corrugated boxes each day.
- The mill treats its wastewater and sends it to the Columbia River.
Boise White Paper contacts
Facility phone: 509-547-2411
Location: 13831 US Highway 12, Wallula, Wash.