We regulate the air, water, hazardous waste, and composting activities at the Packaging Corporation of America (formerly Boise White Paper) pulp and paper mill in Wallula.
Air quality violation
On Feb. 9, 2021, we issued a $28,500 penalty and compliance order to the Packaging Corporation of America's pulp and paper mill in Wallula for air quality violations.
Read our news release
El Departamento de Ecología está imponiendo una sanción a la Corporación de Embalaje de America (Packaging Corporation of America) por violar las regulaciones ambientales. Comuníquese con Angie Fritz al 360-407-7393 o firstname.lastname@example.org para obtener más información. Para información en Español, por favor envíe un correo electrónico a email@example.com o comuníquese con Monica Martinez al 509-406-3939.
The mill stopped producing bleached products in May 2018. It appears this switch resulted in reduced nutrients reaching the wastewater treatment plant. This in turn reduced the treatment efficiency of the wastewater treatment system, meaning it couldn’t meet the emissions reductions required by federal regulations for 57 days over several weeks in Aug. — Oct., 2020.
During this time, the mill violated air quality emission requirements by releasing air pollution at levels above what was allowed from its wastewater treatment plant. This included 7 tons of methanol and other types of hazardous air pollution.
On Dec. 4, 2020, we issued a notice of violation.
Where can I get more information?
- If you'd like to receive copies of documents, please submit a request.
- If you'd like to ask questions about this action, contact Emily Toffol, 360-407-6954
This facility is a kraft pulp and paper mill and corrugated container plant.
- With around 400 employees, the pulp and paper mill makes about 1,800 tons of unbleached paper and corrugated medium each day.
- The container plant has about 155 employees and makes approximately 5 million square feet of corrugated boxes each day.
- The mill treats its wastewater and sends it to the Columbia River.
Packaging Corporation of America contacts
Facility phone: 509-547-2411
Location: 13831 US Highway 12, Wallula, WA